This is a site for MTSU’s Global News and World Media Cultures classes in Spring 2011.
The purpose of the course to provide an integrated framework for understanding the basic aspects of international mass communication and how mass media systems differ around the world. Our discussions will also increase students’ understanding of the world outside the borders of the United States as we focus on current international news and world cultures.
We will also:
- discuss the nature and dynamics of global news services and information flow
- ponder the issues arising from uneven distribution of communication resources in the emerging global society
- look at international news before and after the Cold War
- examine the New World Information Order and its aftermath
- study the challenges journalists face in covering international news, terrorism and war, and
- discuss our own media habits and our knowledge of international news
- blog about global topics and keep up with international news